Student of the Year
We're hugely proud of our students. Richly diverse, they also have endless amounts of talent, enthusiasm and dedication. That's why each year, we look forward to celebrating their achievements at our Student of the Year Awards. It's a fantastic occasion, when deserving students have a chance to be recognised for their hard work and commitment.
How do I nominate?
Staff can nominate a student from Wednesday 1 March via our online nomination form. Simply decide which category your nominee falls into and submit your nomination to Marketing by Friday 28 April to allow enough time for the judging panel to meet and make their decisions.
For more information about nominating or any aspect of the Awards. Contact the Marketing Office, Bispham Campus on:
Our 2023 Student of the Year Awards take place virtually on Friday 16 June. The ceremony itself is a wonderful, feel-good occasion, with everyone keen to join in the celebrations and recognise the extraordinary efforts of so many worthy nominees.
Who attends the event?
As the Student of the Year Awards are taking place virtually, it will be accessible for all nominees, tutors and other members of College staff, as well as employer representatives and local dignitaries to tune in. This way, everyone can enjoy the occasion and celebrate the winners as they receive their awards.
Dates to Note
- Friday 28 April - Closing date for nominations. All nomination forms need to be forwarded to Marketing by this date. Marketing to forward nomination forms to Heads of Curriculum.
- Week commencing Monday 1 May - Heads of Curriculum to hold panel meetings to select one student nomination for each category.
- Monday 8 May - Heads of Curriculum to forward their final nominations to Marketing.
- Friday 19 May - The Executive and Student Governor Panel meeting is held to select overall winners.
- Friday 16 June - Student of The Year Awards virtual ceremony.
- Monday 19 June - In person celebration where winners will be presented with their awards, personalised photography and afternoon tea.
Categories / Criteria
Who gets nominated and what are the criteria?
At B&FC, we recognise that success takes many forms and our nominating categories reflect that:
- Curriculum Area Award - These will be young students (under 19 years) who attain Silver on their Personal Development Plan (PDP) and have excellent attendance and functional. A maximum of three students from each curriculum area will be awarded a Gold Award.
- Young Student of the Year Award - A panel from each curriculum area will decide on a finalist from the students nominated for their area in the Gold Award category
- HE Student of the Year Award (over 19 years) and
- Adult Student of the Year Award (over 19 years) - For these two categories, we're looking for exceptional students who stand out from the crowd and give 100% to everything they do. A panel from each curriculum area will decide on a short-listed nominee from each category for their area.
Please note that for nominations in all of the above categories, you will be required to substantiate the nomination with factual information taken from the student's records. You must include their attendance record and their academic achievements to date.
You will also be asked to supply the following information:
- Extra curricular activities - work experience/volunteering/part-time work
- Family circumstances (if applicable)
- A personal statement from the nominator
Relevant nominations should be completed on the online form. This cannot be saved to complete at a later date, so please ensure you have all the information detailed in the criteria above prior to starting the form.
What are the prizes?
- Curriculum Area Gold Award Winners - £25 Love to Shop voucher, trophy and scroll
- Young Student of the Year Overall Winner - Trophy, £150 and scroll
- HE Student of The Year/Adult Student of The Year Finalists - £25 Love to Shop voucher and a scroll
- HE Student of The Year/Adult Student of The Year Overall Winner - Trophy, £150 and a scroll
To nominate a student complete the nomination form.
For more information about nominating or any aspect of the Awards, contact the Marketing Office, Bispham Campus on: